The Johnson Company
Archive of Historical Photographs and Other Images
Part II - 1889-1929
Johnson Company rail works, circa 1890 (Caldwell Atlas of Cambria County 1890).
A view of the Johnson Company mill in spring 1891, looking west from across the Stony Creek toward
the Town of Moxham. Visible on the left are the rail mill (closest to the river bank), steel foundry, and
the original pattern and blacksmith shops. Behind in the upper left is the Moxham Bridge. In the center-right
are the electrical department and boiler house, and the wooden buildings of the temporary switch works
constructed after the Great Flood destroyed the switch works in Woodvale. Behind those (along Ventral Avenue)
are the newly built horse-shoe shaped wooden car barns of the Johnstown Passenger Railway Company. To the right
of the barns are the Engine House and the stables of the Moxham Fire Company. To the left of the barns is the narrow
car shed of the Johnstown and Stony Creek Railroad and, behind that, the General Office Building.
The large wooded area in the upper right is the Von Lunen Grove (JAHA).
Detail of the spring 1891 mill view (above), showing the car barns of the Johnstown Passenger
Railway Company built in 1891 on the west side of central Avenue between the Johnson Company's
General Office Building (extreme left) and the Moxham Fire Engine Company building and stables
(extreme right). The small building to the left of the horse-shoe shaped car barns is a dispatcher's
and conductor's shed.
Production photograph of car no. 12 for the Johnstown Passenger
Railway Company (Historical Society of Pennsylvania).
Open-sided car no. 55 of the electrified Johnstown Passenger
Railway Company (Irving London)
Johnson Company Catalogue No. 8 (1892) (JAHA).
Sectional plates from Catalogue No. 8 (1892).
The switch works and lay out yard of the Johnson Company in 1892. This photograph, probably
taken from the third floor of the General Office Building, shows (from left): the bending shop,
the two-bay forge and switch shop, the large blacksmith and pattern shop, the bolt and hammer
shop (behind the open shed), and the shear shop. In the background can be seen the chimneys of the
boiler house and (on the far right) the pump house on the bank of the Stony Creek that brought water
through brick viaducts to cool the roll stands. In the foreground is the curved roof of the Johnstown
Passenger Railway Company car barns (on the right) and the end of the car shed of the Johnstown
and Stony Creek Railroad (center) (JAHA).
The Johnson Company, looking east across the Stony Creek toward the Town of Moxham
(which had been incorporated into the City of Johnstown), spring 1893 (JAHA).
The Johnson Company General Office complex, looking south along Central Avenue, circa 1896.
In the forefront are the laboratory building (left) and the machine shop (right), and the track of the
Johnstown and Stony Creek Railroad (JAHA).
Insurance survey map (no. 4409, index no. 6573-1)of the Johnson Company, Machine shop,
foundry & iron works, Johnstown Pa., May 1895, after the rail mill had been relocated
to Lorain, Ohio. On the right are the steel foundry and the Steel Motor Company. At the
top is the old pump house used to draw water from the Stony Creek. In the top left insert is the
Iron Foundry; inn the left-center is the large switch works (later the Upper Shops), lay out yard,
and travelling gantry crane. In the foreground is the General Office complex, including the
Drawing Rooms and Lay Out Floor Building (with skylight roof), the machine shop (with single
tower) and the laboratory building. Still visible is the loop of the Johnstown and Stony Creek
Railroad. Along Central Avenue (bottom left) is the Moxham Fire Engine Company (JAHA).
Original blueprints for the seven main switches built for the Manitou and Pike's
Peak Railway Company's rack (or cog) rail by the Johnson Company in 1889
and delivered for installation in early 1890 (JAHA).
Johnson Company laying track in Atlanta Georgia in 1891. In 1891, many of the smaller
horse-drawn railway lines in Atlanta were merged into the Atlanta Consolidated Street
Railway Company and the entire system electrified by Thomson-Houston. All of the rail
lines were re-railed, many with Johnson Company 45-pound girder rail) to accommodate
the heavier cars. Five of those lines converged at this intersection of Broad and Marietta
Streets, where this custom-designed Johnson Company crossing was installed.
Installing Johnson girder rail at Woodward and Jefferson in Detroit, Michigan for the
Detroit Citizens Street Railway in 1892 (Jack E. Schramm).
The Steel Motor Company, brought by Tom Johnson from Cleveland to the Moxham mill in
March 1896 when the rail mill was relocated to Lorain, Ohio, circa 1897. The motor division
was housed in the mill's original pattern shop along the bank of the Stony Creek and was
subsequently sold to Westinghouse Electric Manufacturing Company in Pittsburgh in 1902 ,
when the building converted back to a pattern shop. On the left is the rear of the brick-faced
Electrical Department and Boiler Room, built in 1889 (JAHA).
Original Plan of the Town of Moxham 1888. The plan was commissioned by Tom L. Johnson and his
brother Albert, who had purchased over 90 acres of the original Von Lunen farm next to the plant
site for private residential development, including a large city park (the Von Lunen Grove)
occupying three city blocks with a band shell and a dining/dancing hall and the Moxham residence
which occupied an entire city block (20 lots) immediately across Ohio Street from the Grove
(JAHA). Photo by Jet Lowe, HABS/HAER, March 14, 1989.
Revised plan of the Town of Moxham, drawing no. 10742, dated February 1, 1892
(JAHA). Photo by Jet Lowe, HABS-HAER, March 14, 1989.
The Grove, home of Arthur J. Moxham, completed by architect B. F. Horner in
March 1889 on a large wooded lot adjacent to the Dining/Dancing Hall and the band
shell of the Von Lunen Grove. Photograph taken in the summer of 1890;identifiable
on the porch are Helen Moxham (middle), her sister Dullie, Moxham's sister Evangeline,
and their two daughters Dulcenia (age 4) and Eva (age 2), being held). When Moxham moved
his family to Lorain, Ohio in March 1895, the residence was occupied by Coleman du Pont,
whom Moxham had brought from Louisville to be the new general manager at the mill.
When du Pont left Johnstown in 1898, the house remained empty for three years until
it was purchased by W. B. Dibert in May 1901. In 1916 the house was gutted by fire
and razed, and the property was subdivided into standard residential lots (Jim Moxham).
Johnson Company bond certificate, used as form of payment to maintain liquidity in 1893. By law,
workers had to be paid in cash rather than with script, so they were asked to convert their
cash wages into bind certificates right at the pay window (Harold Jenkins).
The family of Thomas Coleman du Pont (1863-1930) circa 1893, showing (standing from left):
Alice du Pont (1863-1937), wife of Thomas Coleman du Pont; Thomas Coleman du Pont; and
his father A. Bidermann du Pont. Seated: Alice Hounsfield du Pont, mother of Alice du Pont;
Augusta Lamotte Hounsfield, grandmother of Alice du Pont and mother of Alice Hounsfield
du Pont; and Margaretta Elizabeth Lamotte du Pont, mother of Bidermann du Pont and
grandmother of Thomas Coleman du Pont. Children of Thomas Coleman du Pont: Alice
Hounsfield du Pont at age 2 and Ellen Coleman du Pont at age 4 (Hagley Museum).
Thomas Coleman du Pont, circa 1896, general manager
of the Johnson Company Moxham works, 1894-1898.
Engraving by E. G. Williams & Bros, New York.
Edgar C. Moxham (1858-1913), younger brother of Arthur J.
Moxham and a mining engineer. Edgar completed the ore
sampling and site exploration for the construction of the
steelworks of the Dominion Iron and Steel Company (DOMCO)
in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia in 1899. He was married to Bessie
Coleman, sister of Helen Coleman Moxham (Murton Carpenter).
Arthur J. and Helen Moxham and children Evangeline,
Dulcenia, and Egbert at Kinsaak, their family home in Cape
Breton, Nova Scotia, after the death of Moxham's eldest son
Coleman Moxham in a mill accident at Dominion Iron and
Steel Company in Cape Breton in 1901 (Jim Moxham).
Arthur J. Moxham and Helen Coleman Moxham in 1903. Portraits by
William A. Johnston of Louisville (Jim Moxham).
Laying out yard and gantry crane of Federal Steel's fabrication works in Johnstown in 1901,
just prior to the 1902 merger into U. S. Steel Corporation (JAHA).
Engineering staff posing on the laying out floor in the Engineering Building, circa 1900 (JAHA).
Johnstown Works of the Lorain Steel Company, second floor of the north wing
Drawing Room and Laying Out Floor Building, June 27, 1899 (JAHA).
View of the old blacksmith shop of the Lorain Steel Company, Johnstown Works,
circa 1901-1902. Visible on the track is a small locomotive crane (JAHA).
Plant view of the Johnstown Works of the Lorain Steel Company in 1911 (JAHA).
The Lorain Steel Company, Johnstown Works, Pattern Shop employees circa 1912 (JAHA).
Laying out yard and Upper Shops of the Lorain Steel Company, Johnstown Works, production
photograph of crossings for the Havana Railway Light and Power Company, March 2, 1921 (JAHA).
Laying out yard of the Lorain Steel Company, Johnstown Works, production photograph of
26 steam railroad crossings for the City of Detroit, June 1921 (JAHA).
Arthur J. and Helen Moxham at Great Neck, Long Island,
circa 1924 (Jim Moxham).
Laying out yard with gantry crane and the Upper Shops of the Lorain Steel Company,
production photograph of car barn curves for the east end of the Champaign Avenue
Car House of the Ottowa (Canada) Electric Railway Company, October 10, 1924 (JAHA).
Laying out yard of the Lorain Steel Company, Johnstown, production photograph of
crossing curves for the intersection of Newton and Portland Streets and Piccadilly
for the Manchester (England) Corporation Tramways, August 12, 1924. In the
background is the side of the Engineering Building and to the far left the
Moxham Fire Engine Company with its distinguishable bell tower (JAHA).
Laying out yard with gantry crane and the Upper Shops of the Lorain Steel Company, production
photograph of the Richmond and Bay Streets crossing for the Toronto Transportation Commission,
August 29, 1929 (JAHA).